difference esta and visa

What is the difference between an ESTA authorization and a visa?

Do I need a visa to travel to the United States? Not necessarily. In case you decide to stay in the country no longer than ninety days, you can enter the United States without a visa by accessing the Visa Waiver Program. The program provides ESTA authorization for entry and transit in the United States for tourism or business. To apply for an ESTA, you must be a citizen of one of the 36 countries participating in the Visa Waiver Program.

In the event that you cannot apply for Esta authorization, you will need to apply for a non-immigrant visa. The differences between an ESTA and a non-immigrant visa are represented by the length of stay and the application procedure.

The stay in the United States with a visa is extended up to a maximum of 6 months. To apply for a visa, it is necessary to go to the embassy and wait for the allotted times (which may vary according to the type of visa), while the ESTA authorisation application can be made online in a very short time.

What are the types of visas for the United States?

Depending on the purpose of your trip, you will be able to choose the most appropriate non-immigrant visa. Here are the types of visas to enter the United States

Visa type B: Tourism, business, medical treatment

If you are travelling to the USA for one of these reasons, the most suitable visa is the B type. This authorization is intended for citizens of those countries that are not members of the Visa Waiver program and for those who have been denied ESTA. B Visas can be requested by any traveller from any country (except for those countries included in the Black List such as Iran, Libya, Somalia, etc …)

Visa C1: Transit

If you cannot obtain Esta authorization, and you only need to transit through the United States through an airport, you should apply for a C1 visa

Visa type E: Trade or investment

If the reason for your trip is a services trade, an import-export business or an investment, you should get a type E visa

Visa F, M: Students and study trips

If you go to the United States for study purposes, you will need to choose this type of visa. The reasons for studying include the attendance of a university, academic or professional course and even study trips for learning a language.

Visa I: Journalists and media operators

To carry out journalistic activities in the US, an E visa is required

Visa J: Cultural exchanges

Necessary to participate in cultural exchange and research programs

Visa H, L, O, P, Q, R: Temporary work

Depending on the work you are going to carry out during your stay in the USA, you will need to obtain a different type of visa

If you have any questions or concerns regarding the completion of the Esta form or entry requirements to the USA, please contact our customer support. We are here to help you obtain your Esta authorization to travel to the United States. Through our operations and support, we guarantee that 99% of the requests submitted are successful.